Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Don't Slide Down the Ethical Ladder



September for PRSA and SCPRSA is ethics month. I hope to raise your awareness of ethics. 
Ethics is moral principles that govern a person's or group's behavior.  Keep in mind you need to think as if you had “skin in the game.”

I recently read that one may be tempted and slide down the ethical ladder when motivation and rationalization take over in a situation. From keeping a friendship to keeping your job could be the motivation for looking the other way or neglecting to speak up when your gut says you should. Or, leaving out a pertinent fact in a news release may be rationalized that the reporter/editor should research the subject and realize all the facts are not there. 

Have you been tempted by motivation or rationalization? Did you bend? In our society there are many issues that should make us think about ethics. Many of them are not black and white; they must be considered individually and personal conclusions drawn.  I trust this example has made you think about ethics.

Joe S. Jones, APR, joe@jma-associations.com
SCPRSA
Jones, McAden & Associates

No comments: